Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 26 year old male. I am healthy as far as I know.

Hi, i am a 26 year old male. I am healthy as far as I know. About 3 to 4 months ago i stopped using some DHT blockers (i was using for hair growth as I am thinning) as i developed a slight bit of ED and after reading i heard blocking DHT can do that to you. It may have become a bit psychological due to it happening a couple of times but it kind of got better. I currently struggle to get a FULL erection (hard enough to have intercourse but not like it used to be). I have to constantly keep it stimulated otherwise it will just go down. My girlfriend and I have spoken about it and everything is fine but its still worrying. Also for the past month or so i have been very lethargic and forgetful. I am lacking in concentration a bit too. I have checked for symptoms and alot points to depression. I have been a bit down in the past but i feel im over that since i got with my new girlfriend around 8 months ago so I honestly dont think its depression causing this. My guess is maybe the DHT blockers have thrown my testosterone off balance but thats just from looking at google so I want to ask an expert.
Any information would be extremely helpful.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns.DHT blockers like propecia does not affect your testicles.So testosterone production should not be affected.DHT receptors are not present everywhere --so the erection function should not be affected significantly.However, your body can be more sensitive than others to DHT blockers.The effect of DHT blockers should wear off gradually over 2-3 months.Given your other symptoms you may have hypothyroidism or low thyroid hormone state.That can affect your sexual function, mood etc.Also low testosterone level for some other reason is a possibility.Psychological causes are considered after normal physical evaluation.Blood tests like serum TSH, free T4, serum testosterone level should be ordered by your doctor.For temporary erection problem, PDE5 inhibitors like viagra can be tried.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/