Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am experiencing high blood pressure today (150/90+)

Customer Question

Hello, I am experiencing high blood pressure today (150/90+) even though I am not normally anywhere near this range. Have had only two previous episodes in this year (one after a family death) but am now concerned as this episode comes out of the blue - just a bad head cold while taking the day off at home. Pressure has risen slightly since afternoon. What do you suggest I do?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
many things can cause temporary elevation of your blood pressure up.
some cold medications contain pseudophedrine which can increase blood pressure.
increased salt intake can increase your blood pressure
increased stress and lack of sleep and increased anxiety can cause increase of your blood pressure.
do you have chest pain, or shortness of breath or sweats? if you do, you need to go to the A&E or hospital for evaluation of your symptoms.
if you don't have symptoms, you should continue to monitor your blood pressure and track it and write it down for your doctor
you should show your doctor at next evaluation your blood pressure history
you might need to increase your blood pressure medications.
avoiding salt and drinking more water and fluids and decreasing stress and exercising regularly can help over time decrease your blood pressure.
you should see a doctor about your head cold and see if you need a course of antibiotics to help you get better
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com