Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Just had a condom malfunction with my partner but am 49 (50

Just had a condom malfunction with my partner but am 49 (50 on Sunday!) and not had a period for three months and prior to that for twelve months, do I need to consider the morning after pill or am I worrying unduly?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you're having this scare right now. The risk of pregnancy sounds really low but it's not zero. The 2 age groups with the highest rate of unintended pregnancy are teenagers and 45+ women. So although the risk of pregnancy sounds quite low, most women at age 49 are 100% certain they don't want a pregnancy. Because of that, it's a good idea to use a morning after contraception to get that risk down to as close to zero as possible. Of course, you'd also probably do just fine statistically waiting it out. But I'd advise any women who is not clearly menopausal to react and get that risk down as low as possible. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer that is very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Anything else for today? I'm glad this was helpful.