Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I was examined by my gp in august, due to pain urinating. I

Customer Question

I was examined by my gp in august, due to pain urinating. I was given a general antibiotic, having been informed that my prostate did not feel enlarged or irregular. The antibiotic had no effect and I was referred to a urologist, whom I saw today. By virtue of a very slow flow test, and an ultra sound,which showed some, but not much, urine retained in my bladder, It was recommended that I be booked in for a Transurethral Prostatectomy [TURPS] for Benign Disease. I was given a print-out, to read at home, detailing alternatives to this procedure. In reading this, and enquiring further on the internet [NHS choices], I am told that this procedure is normal in medium or severe cases where there has been no response to medication. However none of the medication referred to in the print-out has been offered to me at any stage. Am I missing something ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. You don't need the surgery right awayYou first should be placed on a medication like Avodart or Proscar for helping with the urine retention and one of those should be effective in relieving your symptoms.Only after that has been tried for a few months should surgery be considered in the medication wasn't effectiveLet me know if you need more information please