Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have started to suffer from arthritis. I have been taking

Customer Question

I have started to suffer from arthritis. I have been taking Glucosamine plus omega 3 & chondrotin. Am I doing the right and worthwhile thing. Can you suggest anything better to stop it getting worse.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you have the result of the most recent TSH?
When was this checked?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
There are several options that can help with arthritis. The glucosamine and chondroitin along with omega 3 are fine if this is working for you. Whether something else should be taken is completely dependent upon whether the arthritis is causing symptoms. If there are symptoms, then the usual next step would be consideration of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen.
For prevention of worsening of arthritis, the most important interventions are lifestyle interventions, primarily getting regular exercise and achieving or maintaining ideal body weight. In someone with more significant arthritis, it may be better for the exercise to be obtained in a pool, as the exercise would not be weight-bearing.
The question of whether to adjust the dose of thyroxine would first depend upon the most recent TSH level, which is why I ask about the level. If you can provide the TSH level, then I can make further comment.