Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

L am astramatic the doctor change my inhaler about 3 months

Customer Question

l am astramatic the doctor change my inhaler about 3 months ago now my thumb wont bend in the joint
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some additional information.
What inhaler or inhalers are you currently using?
Are you taking any other medicines for any other medical problems?
Have you noticed whether you can safely take aspirin or ibuprofen? Or do these medicines make the asthma worse?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.
There are several considerations in this situation.
The usual first-line intervention when there is stiffness of a joint would be a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine. However, about 20-25% of people with asthma will develop an exacerbation of the asthma if aspirin or other anti-inflammatory medicine is taken. If you know from your history that you can safely take aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen, then it would be appropriate to take ibuprofen or naproxen for the thumb.
If anti-inflammatory medicines are to be avoided, then it would be OK to take acetaminophen. If there is pain in the thumb, it also would be OK to use capsaicin cream applied to the skin over the joint.
It is worth noting that heat is a good idea, as it also has an anti-inflammatory effect, but the heat rubs and creams are far less effective than true heat, and moist heat works better than dry heat. So, using a moist heating pad or soaking the hand/thumb in hot water will usually be more effective.
To improve stiffness, it also may help to perform range of motion exercises, which may need to be done initially with the opposite hand.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my inhaler is frutiform
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have been taking ibruofen it doesn't seem to get any better
What dose and frequency are you taking the ibuprofen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
200mg6tablets a days
The flutiform inhaler would typically not be the cause of the problem with your thumb. The medicine does not get absorbed to a significant extent in most people, and if the medicine would get absorbed, it would usually help joint problems.
You are currently taking a moderate dose of the ibuprofen. It is appropriate to use the lowest effective dose of any anti-inflammatory, but when a dose is not effective, it is appropriate to increase the dose until the maximum dose is reached. The maximum dose of ibuprofen is 2400 mg per day, which can be achieved with taking three of the 800 mg prescription strength or 12 pills of the 200 mg over the counter strength.
If the thumb does not improve with maximal doses of ibuprofen along with the moist heat and exercises noted above, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor, as this is the most that can be done with home and over the counter interventions.