Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

SOME FORTY YEARS AGO I HAD MY SINUSES DRAINED. IT HAD BEEN

Customer Question

SOME FORTY YEARS AGO I HAD MY SINUSES DRAINED. IT HAD BEEN SMELLING FOR SOME TIME IN MY NASEL CAVITY FOUL SMELLING MUCUS SEEPED OUT . ITS NOW BACK AGAIN BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT DRAINAGE IS NO LONGER AN OPTION ANYMORE.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
For now there's no need to consider draining the sinuses again.
Obviously you have a sinus infection and a course of antibiotics--perhaps oral Septra DS or Levaquin along with Bactroban antibiotic gel to the nostrils will clear this up.
Just have your doctor evaluate it if he hasn't already
Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was HELPFUL BUT PART OF MY QUESTION WAS NOT ANSWERED
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--what was the part I didn't answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHY DRAINAGE WAS NOLONGER PRACTICED IN TREATMENT .I AWARE NOT NECESSARY IN MY CASE,BUT IT SEEMS THIS IS NOT DONE ANY MORE
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK
No, drainage is still done but only when it's absolutely necessary--for example when antibiotics aren't effective or there's a chronic fluid collection in a sinus that won't drain on its own.
The proper course of action is to try antibiotics first and only consider surgical drainage if the infection and fluid collection aren't resolved that way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU THAT EXPLAINS WHY MY G.P REFUSED TO RECOMMEND DRAINAGE WHICH SORTED ME OUT FOR FORTY YEARS WITHOUT REOCURRANCE
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure--call on me any time