Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

The other night I went to bed feeling as if I needed to poo

The other night I went to bed feeling as if I needed to poo but just ignored it.the next morning I woke with a sharp very painful cramp needing to go to the toilet asap I imedialty bolted from lying down to standing up and went to the toilet .then I couldn't catch my breath and began to go dizzy so I got off the toilet and tried to go back to the bedroom which I didn't make because I was now on The floor with my partner over me panicking asking what's wrong I belive I passed out but for only seconds .Still feeling a bit short of breath and fussy I realised I had pooped my pants within 10 mins I felt ok just tired a little .my partner said I was drip white and sweating at the time.this has never happened before .I went to my doctors and she has implied epilepsy. there is no family history and now I'm super worried .but is it possible she has missed something in what I have explained.hope someone can help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--your age, gender and any other medical conditions please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm 29 and male with no medical conditions and don't do drugs and haven't had any alcohol for weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--when you were on the floor, what did your partner say you were doing while there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just lying perfectly still taking shallow breaths which I was aware off because soon as I hit the floor she ran straight up and she never actually saw me unconscious and I could see and hear her fine just felt like I didn't want to move yet through feeling drained..plus as I was trying to make my way to the bedroom I shouted to her there's something wrong with me...so I'm talking seconds from going dizzy to been on the floor with her standing over me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. This doesn't sound at all like epilepsy or a seizure
Most likely it was what's called a vasovagal reaction where the urge to have a bowel movement or even having a bowel movement stimulates the vagus nerve which in turn lowers heart rate and blood pressure and one either feels very faint or actually faints.
I would, however give you a full cardiac workup including an EKG, echocardiogram and a 24 hour Holter monitor/continuous EKG to see if this was a cardiac rhythm problem like supraventricular tachycardia which can also cause similar symptoms
Let me know if you need more information please