Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Started with chest infection then got sore throat , then my

Customer Question

Started with chest infection then got sore throat , then my Esophagus became extreamly swollen couldn't breath , when swollwing was like swollwing glass extreamly distressing and constant belching plus couldn't even drink a teaspoon of water without it feeling like I'm drowning, literally choking on it. Could not get any medication down would get stuck. Please help
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Are you still short of breath?
Any other symptoms that you are having at the present moment?
Are you still having high fever?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Been on antibiotics and today I am able to drink plain watery drinks with out it hurting. But I still struggle to take medication as it gets stuck in my Esophagus and takes a few drinks to help it down. Just before I got ill I had just stopped taking a 3 week course of naproxen , is there a link that this has caused what I think I have Esophagitis
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Actually naproxen can cause one to have gasstritis (inflammation of the stomach) and can also cause increased acidity that can, at times, cause esophagitis, so this is a possibility.
I would recommend that you should take regular antiacid medications like omeprazole 20 mg twice daily (which is available without a prescription over-the-shelf).
Saline gargles will also help with your symptoms.
I believe that your symptoms should improve in the next few days time.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.