Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

What is the respiratorymechanism that determines whether air

Customer Question

what is the respiratorymechanism that determines whether air is exhaled through the nose or through the mouth
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
hi there,i am online and will be happy to answer your questions. there is no thing as such a particular mechanism that determines whether air is exhaled through nose or mouth. the usual respiratory path ( natural ) is nose , nasopharynx,larynx, trachea, bronchi and lungs but yes you can also exhale through mouth1. intentionally ( because of anatomy/ continuity of pasage )2. or when there is blockage in nose like congestion etc. exhaling through mouth is acquired later in life. ( not present in newborn) I hope this answers your question. Please click on accept if this helps.Please let me know if you need any clarifications. thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
if you have any questions, feel free to ask
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** we choose to breath through our mouth and then decide we wish to breath through our nose instead without closing our mouth, something goes on inside to effect this. What is it?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
so , this is all voluntary process in that case controlled by brain.your brain decides to exhale through nose, it fires in certain nerves innervating certain group of muscles that push air through desired pathway.it is all controlled by brain. does it make sense to you?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
dear ja customer, you have not accepted my answer yet.do you have any questions?