DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been on thyroxine years and am female 68

i have been on thyroxine for fifteen years and am female 68 years of age
been feeling very under par for five months. my symptoms are
son feeling haking of th hands and weakness in the legs that comes on later in the day or
when i try to exert myself or do something extra like goin out socially
i have pan in the left kidney, frequent urination and sometimes as many as eight bowel
movements a day
my thyroid is tender and it sometimeshard to swallow . have palpitations.
had all my bloods done kidney liver thyroid and one to check that i was not seriously ill.
all tests have come back negative. i cant carry on like this ? please help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloWe can not diagnose on line.I can try to help you find direction.Your internist should look not only at thyroid, but a the adrenal glands, as well as a sex hormone panel.In addiction you should be tested for carcinoid syndrome and pheochromacytomaboth rare, but easy to test for.A scan of the kidney needs to be done...NOT just blood work.In fact, an abdominal scan to rule out kidney and ovarian masses shouldboth be done. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have had kidney scan and abdomen bladder. could i be on a too high dose of thyroxine ? i have read good feedback
from adding T3 ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If your TSH is below .5 this could indicate too much thyroxine.Adding T3 could make it worse.I would see an endocrinologist in this regard. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.The rating scale is at the top of the answer page.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.