Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I started off having stinging eyes and where g and then pins

I started off having stinging eyes and where g and then pins and needles under right arm pit and down my arm. Then the side of my arm pit swelled up. Went to doctor she checked my breasts all fine. They are weird symptoms I know. Since then this has gone on with the swelling and pins and needles can't sleep much and two weeks ago started having lower back pain and mid back pain. V painfull to sit back in a chair etc. I'm worried what it could be. I have not injured myself
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Pins and needles are a sign of neuropathy e.g., nerve compression/impingment. The pain in the back specially the mid back can account for the pins and needles in the arm pit since the nerves that supply the arm pit originate from the thoracic vertebrae 2, 3 and 4, this is the area of the mid back. The lower back pain can be due to associated vertebral compression in the lumbosacral area as well which is often an accompaniment of mid back pain. This is usually due to muscle spasms of the back which pull the vertebrae against each other and narrow the spaces in between the vertebra where the nerves exit the spine from causing them to get impinged and this leads to neuropathy. Ideally, the course of action should be to get lumbosacral spine, cervical and thoracic spine xrays in 2 views. And a complete neurological examination of the spine. This should elucidate the cause and then treatment can be started.The treatment is mostly conservative therapy with pain killers and massage as well as physiotherapy to strengthen the back muscles. Sometimes, steroids are used orally or locally to relieve the inflammation and swelling of the nerves as well as to relieve the pain. Rarely, surgery is required in severe cases.I suggest that you contact your PCP for this and discuss the above with him/her.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Let me know if there are any other queries related to this that you might have.Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What about the stinging eyes although I don't have that now it started off with that..any links? I did go to opticians and she put dye in my eye to eliminate infection etc but nothing untoward . Thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.No, I think that might have been an isolated event. Your other symptoms do not relate to the stinging eyes.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in agony with mid back cold compress every night. Did hit my head on edge of garage door but that was beginning of Sept. Chiropractor said there would be no link. Not immediate trauma like I said but maybe should have mentioned. Head v sore for two weeks but no headaches or eye probs or concussion
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
I suggest hot compresses at night. The cold compresses can cause further aggravation of an already present muscle spasm. You should apply hot compresses and massage the back with Ibuprofen liquigel about thrice daily.Best.