Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am on Lithium 800mg at night. I have been taking this for

Customer Question

I am on Lithium 800mg at night. I have been taking this for years. Will it be ok if I miss one night?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

lithium is used to treat bipolar disorder.

missing one night could affect your bipolar disorder

and you could want to miss treatment tomorrow if you miss one night tonight

patients who have bipolar disorder often don't like the feeling of lithium has on them and they feel they can't think as quickly and don't feel as good

you really should talk to your doctor

it is always best for you to take lithium every day.

let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Lithium is a long acting medication --stays in the body for several days.Hence, missing one dose should not affect you adversely.However, you should not miss more than one dose as it can mess up with the serum levels.Please also discuss with your doctor.And also why do you want to miss tonight's dose?Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/