Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 23 years old, and during the last 3-5 months I been

Customer Question

I am 23 years old, and during the last 3-5 months I been getting blood in my stools and also blood when wiping I also have a quite large amount of blood on the toilet paper, now the blood is light red when it goes inside the toilet and drops of red light blood in the toilet and when I wipe its more of a light red and dark mixed which I think is the stool and blood together. I also felt around my anus and I don't feel any lumps or anything of the unusual.
I have taken a photo also if you would be able to take a look? Which I took 30 mins ago.
I hope you can help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a photo.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
light red blood when you wipe most often is from bleeding from internal hemorrhoids which are veins inside of the rectum and anus.
these hemorrhoids can bleed if you are passing large hard stools or straining or pushing hard to get stools out.
if your stools are hard, the best thing is to eat more fiber in your diet, more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water to soften your stools. you can eat prunes daily to help soften your stools.
there are also over the counter stool softeners like colace and laxatives which can soften your stools as well.
by softening your stools, you will have less trauma and pressure on your veins when you have bowel movements and this will help stop the bleeding.
if you continue to have blood when you have bowel movements, you should see a doctor for treatments of your hemorrhoids.
there are prescription steroid suppositories which you can use to help calm down hemorrhoids in your rectum and keep them from bleeding.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I will attach a photo I taken yesterday when I last passed a stool with the colour I get on the tissue, should I be worried about this as it could be bowel cancer or something seriously wrong with me?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I saw the picture.
I am a cancer doctor
colon or rectal cancer at your age of 23 years old is super super super super rare.
bleeding from hemorrhoids at your age is much much much more common.
you didn't answer my question about if your stools are hard or large?
are you straining to push our your stools when you have a bowel movement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes my stools are large and do come out in big lumps, and sometimes, but not always I am having to push out my stools hard when I have a bowel movement, I also get pain when the stool is passing, I do feel a very small lump on the right side of my anus on the outside, which has been there for the past 3/4 months and hasn't moved, the lump feels like its a straight line rather then round, its hard to explain, but its not big and its very small, I wouldn't think such a small lump would cause so much blood to appear in the toilet water and on the tissue, but I can't seem to feel hemorrhoids around the outside of my anus.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the pain is a sign your stools are too large and hard and causing trauma to your hemorrhoids.
you need to get more fiber and prunes and drink more water to soften your stools.
a small hemorrhoid can bleed and cause a lot of blood
you have hemorrhoids internally in your rectum
you shouldn't be trying to feel all the way into your rectum.
you can cause infection to spread to worsen a hemorrhoid bleed by trying to do an exam yourself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you recommend for me to use to treat these hemorrhoids? as they seem to not want to go away, and stay, I always had problems with bowel movements on and off for the past 2 years but it hasnt been this serious, I will admit my diet isn't the best I don't tend to eat fruit of veg and I do tend to eat things like Crisps, chocolate and milk evreyday and 2-3 fast food meals a week and I drink 1 can of coke but for the rest of the day I do drink no added sugar orange squash with water and I don't exercise, my weight is 14 stone and my height is about 5-7 ft.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you need to start to exercise
you should take metamucil everyday to add more fiber to your diet
you should try eating prunes in your diet to help soften your stools.
you should eat more fruits and vegetables
and drink more water and less soda
and I bet your hemorrhoid bleeding issues will get better.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician