Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I am 23 years old, and past 4 years I have been

Customer Question

Hi I am 23 years old, and for the past 4 years I have been taking omeprazole 20MG, I have never known the reason why I need to take them, if I don't take these I always get burning in my stomach, and the only way to cure this would be by taking my omeprazole,
if anyone has any answers on the cause on why I need to take these to stop my stomach from burning.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.Thank you for your patience. Omeprazole works by decreasing stomach acid production. ( both leading to erosion and ulcer formation in stomach wall which causes burning , gnawing, agonizing pain. ) other causes of stomach ulcer is infection with H.Pylori and painkiller use ( NSAIDS) Since you have this problem for a long time, I would highly recommend checking for H.pylori infection with stool antigen testing or serum testing and then get proper treatment ( 3 or 4 anitbiotics for 14 days ) to get rid of this. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiThanks for getting back to me, I have seen a doctor about this already and he just tells me to change my diet, I have never had any tests done, I do tend to have a bad diet, could diet also be the cause of my problem? e.g eating things like chocolate everyday?Thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
yes, definitely eating habits do contribute, like carbonated drinks, chocolate, caffeine-containing beverages, cigarette smoking, alcohol, spicy food . all of them can aggravate this problem.drink more milk and yogurt and avoid bed time snacks. Please let me know if you have any questions.Kindly click on accept if this answered your query. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me, so when I visit my GP what tests shall I ask for? and do I need to worry about anything serious underlining? such as cancer at the age I am?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
no at this age no at all.. if you have burning in chest worsened at nighttime, somewhat improved with sitting upright, that means GERD , and you just need to adjust your diet and some life style modifications if you have burning pain in your tummy, then it could be gastritis or ulcer and in that case, H.Pylori infection should be ruled out.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
GERD get screening with endoscopy to rule out metaplasia of esophagus ( food pipe connecting mouth to stomach ) after 5 years of symptoms or red flags. ( i.e weight loss, blood stained stools etc )
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
do you feel burning in your chest or in your belly?does this radiate to chest? you should tell your doctor about the duration of symptoms and need for H.Pylori testing. Please let me know if you have any questions. Kindly leave positive ratings above chat box. thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The burning is in my belly, I also tend to burp alot also, I even need to burp when swallowing my own saliva but a very small burp, and sometimes when I get the burning if I swallow my own saliva it makes a funny gargling sound in my stomach, but I don't the burping when I am eating foods.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
thank you for reply. you most likely have acid peptic disease or non ulcer dyspepsia. Please see above reply for you questions with primary care provider.let me know if you have any questions..
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me, if I do have any of these, is it anything for me to worry about? such as its life threatening? Or can these be easily treated with a course of antibiotics?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
no , nothing to be worried about . this is very common and not at all life threatening with treatment. yes, cure rate is very high.just do seek medical help and do take omeprazole and the tests i recommended to properly treat the infection if you have.let me know if you have quesions.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
if done for now, please leave positive ratings above chatbox.feel free to ask follow-up questions.