Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been taken Risperdal 1mg in the last 2 years.

Customer Question

hello,
i have been taken Risperdal 1mg in the last 2 years. I was diagnosed with unipolar,non psychotic depression. I get cymbalta 90mg/day and clonazepam 1mg at night. as well i get naltroxone 50mg/day for opioid detox for about one month.
I wish to get off the meds, and decided to stop the risperdal, my last dose was 1 mg in the 7/11/15
my doctor advise me to switch the risperdal with trazodone(100mg at night) in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms. since yesterday. I think i experience symptoms related to the risperdal disconnection .
to notice i was taking lamictal 200mg/day and i stop it about a week ago without any problems.
as well to all those I take Atorvastatin 20 mg/day, Levothyroxine 50mcg/day.
my question is what can i do to menage with all the symptoms below. yesterday I took a 2 grams of paracetamol for the headaches without any improve, as well i took a 10 mg metoclopramide with a little improve in nausea. for the insomnia i took 2 mg of clonazepam and after two hours redosed by more 2 mg, with no effect.
many thanks for the help!
the symptoms:
mild to strong headaches during all day
severe nausea all day as well accompanied with loss of appetite
severe insomnia or sleeping problems (last night sleep 5 hours, this night i could not get sleep all night and i was stayed awake overnight)
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Are you able to be seen by you doctor for medicines to help with these symptoms?
Or are you limited to what can be acquired over the counter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my doctor do not want to help me so much,he was saying thats it's not good idea to get off risperdal but i try to tell him that i'm don't need any anti-psychotics meds, and it's cause me wight gain and other side effects.so he offered me trazodone.
this doctor don't take good care for patients.
but,my grandmother is a doctor to so i can acquired prescription from her if you will advise me to
There are several options of medicines that may be able to help in this situation, although there are limited options available over the counter. From a legal perspective, I cannot advise you on what prescription medicine to take. I can discuss medicines that are commonly considered, but the doctor that is prescribing the medicine must decide whether the medicine is appropriate in each case.
The only over the counter medicine that may help for these symptoms would be ibuprofen or naproxen for the headache. Diphenhydramine is the strongest medicines that is available over the counter to help with sleep, but it is not as potent as the clonazepam.
As for prescription medicines, there are several considerations. It may help to use a higher dose of the trazodone, which can be increased to 150 mg per day initially, and then can be increased by another 50 mg each day every 3-7 days up to a maximal dose of 400 mg per day. There also are stronger medicines that can be considered for the relief of a headache, such as paracetamol combined with codeine or hydrocodone. For the insomnia, it may help to use zolpidem or zopiclone, instead of the clonazepam. For the nausea, there are several options, including promethazine or prochlorperazine.
Is this the type of information that would be helpful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the answer,the problem is that i can't and don't want to take any opiates anymore.and i have a reflux syndrome in the stomach, any kind of NSAID make me to fell heartburn do you think it's will be ok to try take sumtriptan? with the cymbalta? is there any powerful interactions between the two?
Sumatriptan will usually only help with migraine headaches, and withdrawal headaches are usually not migraine headaches. However, if someone has a history of migraine headaches, withdrawal may precipitate migraine headaches.
It is also true that there is a potential interaction between sumatriptan and Cymbalta, but it is not at a level for which the two drug should never be used together, but rather that there should be close monitoring by the doctor if the two are used together.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much for your time,have a good day
You are most welcome.