Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Please help!! I have swollen, painful tonsils and they are

Please help!! I have swollen, painful tonsils and they are bleeding and have white patches on them. The back of my throat has white patches and its bleeding as well. This literally happened overnight.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. This is likely due to a bacterial infection of the tonsils in which the symptoms of tonsillitis will be more severe. This causes the tonsils to be swollen, a sore throat and a fever. This will also cause the redness to appear in the oral cavity. However tonsillar bleeding is not commonly seen and is an emergency which can lead to shock due to loss of blood. Considering this as well as the severe pain I would suggest that you immediately go to the emergency and get this treated as soon as possible. The bleeding needs to be controlled and you will also need medications such as antibiotics and pain killers. Please do not delay. Take care. Please rate the answer with an excellent five star positive feedback. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!!! But it's not bleeding so much to where I will go into shock I think. Would you mind me taking a picture and sending it to you? This is very painful and I'm very worried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I have no fever or headache
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes please do upload the picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, it is not the best picture to really see everything but it is the best one I could get.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This is tonsillopharyngitis which is likely caused by a viral infection since there is no fever. However based on the symptoms we cannot diagnose the infectious agent and investigation done by your doctor will help him/her know whether this is bacterial and if antibiotics are required. For pain relief you can use tylenol and/or advil. Salt-water gargles with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt per one cup (8 ounces) of warm water may be beneficial. Other recommendations include sucking on hard candy, sipping warm beverages (eg, honey or lemon tea, chicken soup), cold beverages, or eating cold or frozen desserts (eg, ice cream, popsicles).Gradually your symptoms will decrease with rest, pain medication, and symptomatic therapy. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do I have before it starts getting to worse symptoms? My doctors office is closed until Friday morning.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Basically you are already having severe symptoms and need treatment. Please take the pain killers such ad advil which will also decrease the inflammation. You can also take lozenges to relieve the sore throat. Besides this please keep yourself hydrated. You may see you doctor later if your symptoms improve with the above treatment. However you may need to go to the emergency if you're unable to eat or drink due to the pain, or you have difficulty breathing. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much!!!
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Thanks.