Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recently been to Hospital had several ecg's monitored

I have recently been to Hospital had several ecg's monitored for 3 hours blood tests done
All ok, but doctor said prob stress, but I'm still getting palpitations and a sinking feeling like
My heart is going to stop when I try to fall Sleep, I eventually do get to sleep, this started about 3 weeks ago on and off, I was also diagnosed with ptsd after fainting hitting my head just started taking citilapram when that happened.
And then getting Cronic siatica which happened back beginning sept, siatica finally settled about a week ago, I'm just really worried that I have a problem with my heart or I have lqt syndrome, please advise
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Were you having any palpitations during the 3 hours of monitoring at the hospital?
Are you having any other cardiac symptoms, such as chest pain or shortness of breath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pains or short of breath had palpitations once during ecg I was very anxious when being monitored
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having palpitations now, but they come and go
Thank you for the additional information.
There are many possible causes of palpitations. Many are benign, but some are serious. Identifying whether it is one of the serious causes of palpitations typically requires monitoring of the heart when the patient has palpitations. The palpitations frequently do not happen at convenient times, but if you had a typical episode of palpitations while being monitored, that would be sufficient to assure that it is not a serious problem. If the palpitations did not occur while being monitored or the episode was only a mild episode, then it may be reasonable to perform longer monitoring at home, such as a Holter monitor, which will record the heart for a full 24 hours.
The ECGs and monitoring that you have received would be sufficient to exclude long QT syndrome.
Anxiety and stress is a common cause of benign palpitations. While these palpitations are not serious, they certainly can be very bothersome, and in someone with more bothersome palpitations from anxiety or stress, it would be an option to use a beta-blocker to help control symptoms. It is not necessary to treat anxiety induced palpitations, but if they are more bothersome, this can be used to ease symptoms.
So, if the episode of palpitations during monitoring was a typical episode of palpitations, then there is no need for further evaluation, but it may be an option to use a beta-blocker to ease bothersome symptoms. The only reason to consider further evaluation would be if the episode of palpitations during monitoring was milder than a typical episode, in which case it would be appropriate to discuss a Holter monitor with your regular doctor. There clearly does not need to be further concern or evaluation for a long QT syndrome. Even if further evaluation would be appropriate for the reasons noted above, there is no reason for you to fear that your heart will stop while you are asleep and the evalution can be scheduled electively as an out-patient.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice which has helped, you have given me more information than the hospital and my GP thank you very much
You are most welcome.