Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am 23 years old. I was diagnosed

Hi my name is Christian & I am 23 years old.
I was diagnosed with depression when I was about 18-19 & was prescribed Citalopram aged around 21 which worked great & then stopped working. I have been on Setraline for almost a year now and have had great results, I have a full time job, I am in a relationship & continue to live my life like anybody else, However – I do have times when I feel down still and other times when I feel great, I have constant worries that I am Bipolar or something just because of the variation, but my downs are never actually so down they are disabling and my ups are never “manic” – Aside from this I do suffer from anxiety fairly often which mainly consists of worrying about being bipolar or having some other sort of psychological disorder, or breaking up in the relationship, losing loved ones etc…
Is it normal to feel good & not so good when on anti-depressants? How would you tell if I was bipolar if I was on anti-depressants? Wouldn’t this make it invisible?
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Yes, this is pretty normal. You will still have some change in your mood. They don't keep you totally level. In fact, that would be a bad thing. You would be a moodless individual, which is not good.
There is one other possibility to talk about with your doctors though. You could have bipolar II or cyclothymia.
Bipolar II is like bipolar but with less severe manic episodes.
I would guess that cyclothymia would fit you better. Cyclothymia is a mild fluctuation in mood over time.
Ask your GP or psychiatrist about these.
I don't think the management will change but it might help give you peace of mind
please don't forget a positive rating. If you have more questions, just reply