Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

Doctor I am a 71 year old female. Three years ago my doctor

Hi Doctor
I am a 71 year old female. Three years ago my doctor advised that I stop t taking HRT after taking it for 23 years. I was very happy on it and did not want to come of it as I felt so well. Fourteen months ago I had a mild stroke from which I have recovered. I am now taking statins and clopidogrel but my blood pressure is perfect for my age 175/72 so therefore I don't take blood pressure medication. My question is would it be safe for me to resume taking HRT again? I used to be on Kliovance.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am online and will be happy to answer your questions, NO. you should not resume taking HRT for several reasons. it increases risk of stroke or other clot problems , and is contraindicated with past h/o stroke, deep vein thrombosis etc.also it should not be used for more than 4 years in any patient. it also increases risk of breast and endometrial cancer. p.s: blood pressure range is normal for all patients. although your isolated systolic blood pressure is typical of age and is due to hardening of blood vessels.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
so you should also talk to your doctor about need for blood pressure control if it is consistently elevated.please let me know if you have any qeustions, I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800Thanks for using justanswer.com
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
do you have any questions?
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
please let me know if you have any questions.if this answered your query, kindly do not forget to positively rate my service to you.