Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Had a blood test.Total serum protein 88g/Lhigh. last test was

Had a blood test.Total serum protein 88g/Lhigh. last test was 2007, giving 72g/L . Do I need further tests
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Why was this test done now and in 2007? Do you suffer from any medical condition or take any daily medications? Was any other test done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in 2007 I was being investigated for possible asthma. The latest blood test was routine but part of hypertension monitoring-GP thinking of giving medication for this. I am not currently taking any meds other than occasional paracetomol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no other tests done
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Do you have any symptoms now? What is your blood pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BP 148/94. No specific symptoms but for general tiredness
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Basically an elevation of serum protein concentration has two principal causes. Dehydration may be causative and because of this there is less water in the body and the blood volume decreases, thereby concentrating the proteins. Another cause is overproduction of specific proteins. Normal total protein level is between 6.4-8.3 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or 64-83 grams per liter (g/L). Your level is mildly elevated and this is most probably due to dehydration and not due to overproduction in which case it would be greatly elevated. Hence there is no need of any further tests, and you need to drink adequate fluids and juices daily. However for the general tiredness I would recommend further tests such as complete blood count, fasting blood glucose and thyroid function tests. Take care. Please rate the answer with an excellent five star positive rating. Thanks.