Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

AFTER A BAD FALL AT THE GYM WHICH CAUSED A FRACTURE OF THE

Customer Question

AFTER A BAD FALL AT THE GYM WHICH CAUSED A FRACTURE OF THE L2 I HAVE BEEN IN PAIN FOR 21 MONTHS YET - I HAVE SEEN A SPINAL SURGEON AND HAD A NEEDLE IN MY BACK. THIS WAS UNSUCCESSFUL AND I FEEL I HAVE BEEN WORSE SINCE. THE NIGHTS ARE THE WORSE AS I AM ALSO A CHRONIC INSOMNIAC AND CANNOT SLEEP THRO THE PAIN. I AM TAKING GABBAPENTIN FOR THE NERVE PAIN AS I WAS INFORMED THAT THE FALL HAD CAUSED THIS (THE PAIN IS IN THE TOP OF MY LEFT SIDE JUST BELOW MY WAIST AND IS AWFUL. THE TABLETS HELP, BUT I STARTED ON 3 AND AM NOW ON 5-6. I HAVE TO TAKE OTHER TABLETS SOMETIMES TO BACK THE GABBAPENTIN UP. I WAS A VERY FIT AND SPORTY 72 YEAR OLD (NOW 74) AND NOW i CAN'T DO ANY SPORTS WITHOUT SUFFERING MORE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MY DAUGHTER (WHO IS A PERSONAL INJURY SOLICITOR AND DEALS WITH PROBLEMS SIMILAR TO THIS THAT I SHOULD SEE A NEUROLOGIST/NEURSURGEON. CAN I GET ANY HELP WITH THIS AS I AM AT THE END OF MY TETHER.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
yes, you should see a neurologist and pain management doctor to help treat your pain.
you should talk to your spinal surgeon to see if a kyphoplasty procedure at L2 can help expand the vertebral body and help decrease the pain
ask about lidocaine patches 5% which can be used for 12 hours at a time to help decrease pain at a location.
ask the pain management doctors it a steroid injection at L3 epidural injection can help decrease some of your pain.
let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am booked in to pain management on 9-12 dec, but I am not sure what they will do or if it will be any help to me. I will pass on the information to them about the patches, but in the day i can manage the pain with the tablets even though i am restricted re exercise. I can't get away from the pain during the night because of the insomnial - do pain management clinics help with this?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I am glad you are going to see a pain management doctor
ask about a kyphoplasty procedure if you have had that performed.
ask about sleeping pills like ambien which can help you sleep at night time
ask about narcotic pain pills like oxycodone or hydrocodone which also can be used at night time as well