DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

There, a friend of mine is going through the mill. He had

Customer Question

hi there, a friend of mine is going through the mill. He had a benign brain tumour which was successfully removed 19 months ago. Unfortunately complications ensued including several bouts of meningitis and hydrocephalus. On returning home after six and a half months in hospital he developed a syrinx . A brain scan showed he had an Arnold Chiari malformation which was dealt with surgically. The decompression did not arrest the syrinx which effected C1-T1. As he was deteriorating rapidly a stent inserted into the syrinx last week to drain it. His mobility is severely compromised. At present his balance is not great and he is suffering from foot drop in both feet. His neuro surgeon suspects there has been a disruption in the autonomic functioning of the brain which is affecting his balance among other things.
I am looking for a clinic in the UK which offers intensive rehabilitation for this autonomic disruption. If such a facility exists, can you please recommend a centre? Many thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis would be any physical medicine and rehabilitation clinic.There is no specific clinic for autonomic dysfunciton.It is but one problem addressed in a comprehensive program.Where in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,We are in Ireland. I was hoping it would be possible to get a month long residential stay in a clinic which would offer an intensive care program. While we are flexible regarding location, I was hoping there were centres of excellence in the UK that I could look into.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I doubt there is any in patient program for this purpose.You are going to need to talk with a major center , give them the details, see how much they might do, and arrange an intake appointment.I would call here. http://www.nrh.ie/ OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's disappointing, I was given to understand there was such a thing in both the UK and in Germany. I will be in contact with the NRH however, I was hoping there were world class centres of excellence in neurorehab that I could check out.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I find nothing in the UK that is specifically for this.However, the center will know if we are missing something.I don't know where you got the information.But, I see no "center of autonomic brain dysfunction."Brain rehab in general is under the venue of physical medicine. They work with neurologist and rehab doctors in this regard, typically.There are centers for neurological rehabilitation, to be more specific, but usually not inpatient.Try here as well.http://qef.org.uk/our-services/neuro-rehabilitation-services/ and herehttp://www.hobbsrehabilitation.co.uk/ and herehttp://www.royalbucks.co.uk/ please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Thomas I appreciate that and I will look into them. I have just found a clinic specialising in Autonomic Disorders including the Autonomic Dysfunctions affecting my friend (i.e. his blood pressure and temperature regulation). The NRH in Dublin couldn't really treat him as his is an edge case and no one really knows what has been affecting him. The spinal problems caused by the syrinx evolved on top of symptom that closing reflect problems in the autonomic functions. Mind you that clinic is in Stanford and may be out of our reach. Thanks again.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I would first talk with the organizations above...you might not have to go far at all.Please don't forget a positive rating, which is how we are paid for our time along with bonuses, ratings and bonuses.The scale is at the top of the answer page.Good luck.Let me know how it goes.