Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My left hand has been numb (to varying degrees) on the left

Customer Question

My left hand has been numb (to varying degrees) on the left side from, and including, the little finger up to my wrist for the last 6/7 months now. over the last 2 days this has started on my right hand as well. any thoughts?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.You likely developed carpal tunnel syndrome ( CTS).This is due to the median nerve and ulnar nerve compression at your wrist.Excessive typing, or wrist use, diabetes, hypothyroidism can cause this.Treatment consists of using a wrist brace at night time to rest the nerve at neutral position for few weeks.This helps in most cases.In more severe cases, steroid injection and surgical release procedure can be considered.Please consult with an orthopedic surgeon also.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was diagnosed with a b12 deficiency - is this relevant
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is also relevant.Severe b12 deficiency can affect the nerves.You should be given B12 shots for now which also may help with improvement of the symptoms besides above.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm a different expert and I don't think this is either carpal tunnel or B12 deficiency. Since it's progressing you need immediate evaluation for either a significant disk problem in your neck or perhaps something more serious like MS or ALS. You really shouldn't wait to see a doctor for an evaluation Let me know if you need more information please
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my feet feel numb and can be quite painful, also I suffer from back ache which is worse when I don't move about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping the new info might give a more pointed guess?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but your question was blocked to me until now.Has the foot and back problem been evaluated by a doctor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The feet were put down to B12 deficiency as I was also suffering from what they called 'glove and stocking' issue. the back was looked at by a specialist but he wanted to give me an epidural, which I declined as he could not tell me what benefit (apart from pain relief) this would serve
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Was your B12 deficiency treated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes injections in the arm, and a better diet, most of the effects have gone but apparently some are permanent as I left it so long before treatment