DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been ill years, not sure of the problem,

Hi, I have been ill for many years, not sure of the problem, one of the medical mysteries however, I have always thought it was related to glucose problems. All my family going back a long time have been diabetics, even though we are slim and usually healthy people. So I have been monitoring my sugar levels for the last two weeks using one of those new glucose monitors that is attached 24/7. It showed that most of the time my levels were between 3.9 and 7, which I know is normal. However, during the night (sometimes) usually at 4am, I would drop to around 2.5, sometimes about 1.8. During the day after a coffee, it would jump to 12. Just to let you know, I don't take any sugar in anything, I avoid it because it makes me feel unwell. My diet is strictly fresh foods, no added sugar is anything. So I am asking if you think I have an issue with the glucose levels during the night, and also these sudden jumps. I’ve tried to replicate the jumps eating and drinking the same things, sometimes it happens, other times it doesn't. But the hypoglycaemia seems to be an issue during the night. I have also been admitted to hospital on four occasions due to low glucose levels during the last 15 years. Do you think there is an issue here and if so, what should I do about it?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou need a hemaglobin a1c to accurate assess your glucose levels.Reactive hypoglycemia can not be diagnosed with these readings.In this case I suggest a glucose tolerance test.If monitored by a specialist.Diet is a key factor in controlling hypoglycemia, and it is the same diet [plant based, no refined carbs] as reverses diabetes.I suggest you see an endocrinologist. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.Yes I am on a diet with no carbs, just meat and veg (veg with no carbs). That's helped to keep my levels between 4 and 7.Does this mean the glucose levels I am monitoring are a waste of time? Does this sound like Reactive hypoglycemia to you?I will see a doctor and see if I can get to see an endocrinologist. Can I use what you have said to the doctor I see?Regards
James
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
That is not really the correct diet, but OK.Not a waste of time, but you need an HA1C.Your monitor is not giving you useful information.Reactive hypoglycemia is possible.I doubt that what I say will have any bearing on whether a doctor sees you , or not.That is up to your personal doctor and the specialist.From what I can tell, you are in need of further investigation, as I have recommended.Please click a positive now.Then come back if needed.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
The rating scale is at the top of the answer page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the info.Regards
James
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
anytimesee my add services offer I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.