Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Doctor, Can anything delay the production of HIV

Hello Doctor,
Can anything delay the production of HIV antibodies? Or delay seroconversion? With unprotected anal and vaginal sex, would you advise Hepatitis testing. I have tested negative for HIV four times out to 15 months post possible exposure. With antibody tests.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. No it is not possible after 15 months to be any delay. Maximum 6 months. Your negative result is confirmatory and you should not worry about HIV infection now. Regarding Hepatitis, Hepatitis B infection may occur by unprotected sex with an infected partner whose blood, saliva, or semen can enter the body. However Hepatitis C transmission rarely occurs from exposure to infected body fluids, such as semen. Hence I would advice to get tested for Hepatitis B. Take care. Please rate the answer with a five star rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

If I tested for Hepatitis B and it was positive, would I need further testing for HIV using non-antibody tests?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. It is highly unlikely that you will test positive for Hepatitis B, however if you do then this would not in any way affect your HIV tests and no further testing for HIV will be required. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I never had any symptoms, should I still get tested?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you should get tested even if you never had any symptoms. This is just to be informed and also to put this fear and anxiety behind you and to get on with your life. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, where can I get tested?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Your general practitioner can order the test. Or in a sexual health clinic. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully all we be okay.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes that is my hope too. Thanks. Please rate with 5 stars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a full STI check at the clinic last week, she tested for HIV aswell but not Hepatitis, does this change anything?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Just to be absolutely safe and sure I suggested Hepatitis B. However due to the low probability of you being infected with Hepatitis B due to the lack of symptoms and also since most probably you are vaccinated they did not test for Hep B. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a 19 year old female in the UK, should I have been vaccinated? I can't remember if I have.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are most probably vaccinated. If not then your doctor can start the vaccination course now. Another reason to get tested. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you, ***** ***** should affect my HIV tests?

Thank you for your advice and help. Much appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. No it will not affect your HIV tests. Your HIV tests are conclusively negative and confirmatory and nothing is going to change that. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Please rate the answer with five stars. Thanks.