Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Noticed icy pain in face after sitting in icy draught which

Customer Question

Noticed icy pain in face after sitting in icy draught which went away. Few weeks later thought tooth problem as severe nerve pain in front tooth.Dentist gave tooth allclear.Dr said shingles and started on acyclovir within 36hrs. Original tooth pain accompanied by area 50p of red cheek, slightly swollen and with 2 or 3 very small blistery spots. These never came to anything and Dr said possibly had gone inside. However, wonder if indeed shingles as started with icy wind and think maybe trigeminal pain thru that. Still on acyclovir - 2more days to go but having electric shocks along nerve and face on right side feels sore and odd but not much to see outside face. Really like to know if shingles or trigeminal alone. Any ideas please? Would trigeminal pain alone give slight redness and slight swelling at site of pain in cheek or not? Beryl.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beryl,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Shingles is due to the activation of the chicken pox virus.The virus remains dormant along the nerve roots.Hence, shingles can cause inflammation of the trigeminal nerve along its distribution.Hence shingles is likely the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia.Acyclovir dose should be increased to 400 mg 5 times daily for 7-10days.The pain can be controlled with gabapentin or a narcotic like oxycodone.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/