Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Yesterday when I was undressing, I noticed a large red mark

Customer Question

Yesterday when I was undressing, I noticed a large red mark on the lower part of my shin. I thought it may be lack of exercise but I am 86 years old, it's rather difficult to get about in this wet weather. Can you suggest what may the cause. Please.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the red mark?
I had asked whether a picture could be attached because there are many possible causes of a red mark on the skin of the lower leg.
Yes, lack of exercise can cause a red mark because exercise helps the veins of the leg carry blood back to the heart, and if the veins do not function as well, it can cause some inflammation of the skin. If this is the cause, then it may help to wear medical support stocking, such as TED stockings, at least during the times when exercise cannot be done.
However, there are many other possible causes, such as a local allergic reaction or a fungal or bacterial infection of the skin, as well as many others.
If you can attach a picture, then I can make a better comment upon what may be causing it.