Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I have been asked to preform a 24 hour urine test as the doctor

Customer Question

I have been asked to preform a 24 hour urine test as the doctor wants to rule out that I have cushing syndrome. I have a lot of excess facial hair and back hair and they suspect it may be PCOS. I just want to know can high levels of colstoral be shown by colour of urine as it is healthy.
Also in relation to this test can anything make the reading lower or higher such as by fluid intake. What happens if I spilt some of the urine.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, The doctor is looking for cortisole, and this you won't see in the urine's colour. The fluid intake doesn't make any difference, because the amount of cortisole will be put into relation to the amount of urine. They will measure the concentration of cortisole and the total amount you excrete within 24 hours. It is not a big problem if you spilled some urine, but you should take care that it is not more than some ml, because otherwise the calculation of the concentration will be wrong. Good luck!
You have read my answer but didn't give a positive feedback yet. Is something not quite clear? Feel fre to ask!