Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

How many hours after drinking half a bottle of brandy do I

How many hours after drinking half a bottle of brandy do I have to wait before taking 150 g lamotrigine tablets.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HIFirst of all, you should tell the prescribing doctor what happened.The interaction can increase side effects, such as dizziness and drowsiness.It sounds like you drank at least 12 hours worth of alcohol.The amount of interaction really can not be predicted, nor can waiting necessarily avoid all interaction.But an educated guess is to wait 12 hours, if your doctor approves. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Half a bottle of brandy should be metabolized within 6 hours of consumption.Hence, you can take your 150 mg lamotrigine 6 hours after last drink.That way, the interaction will be minimal.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloThere is no way to say that a half bottle of brandy would be metabolized in only six hours.There are too many factors to day thatThat would imply only six beers, for example.You clearly drank more than that, and even the beer figure is not exact.You should not take an internet estimate.Call your doctor.I would wait as long as your doctor says.I would play it safe and not simply go for six hours, which could be dangerous.See this informationhttp://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/alcohol,_tobacco,_&_other_drugs/alcohol/alcohol_&_your_body.phpI am a double board certified US doctor.I will always give you safe and accurate information.If you appreciate this, please make sure the positive rating goes on my post.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Half a bottle of brandy should be metabolized within 6 hours of consumption.Normal liver and kidney function and assuming you have average body habitus, that much brandy should be metabolized by 6 hours.Please drink plenty of fluids as well.Hence, you can take your 150 mg lamotrigine 6 hours after last drink.That way, the interaction will be minimal.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Hello..I am ethically bound once again to warn you that 6 hours might be too soon after a half bottle of brandySee my answer above [you did not rate that answer as far as I an tell, hence I am not sure you saw it this is ther first expert]See the link to the charts I gave you.In fact, you still might have side effects from interactions at 12 hours.Note that a specialist has agreed with me on this.Find me any time in medical for safe, accurate, correct, and comprehensive yet prompt answers.I am here daily."for Dr. Thomas only."