Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My name is ***** ***** I've got a question regarding

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I've got a question regarding heart condition. Will an 80 yr old lady survive when she is diagnosed with a heart condition EG_drying of a part of heart I don't yet know the diagnosis of the heart condition. The lady is in India.Dr's there say that she can be cured by medicine and don't want to do a heart surgery du to the age risk. Idon't understand as well the meaning of drying of one side of a heart . could u explain this plz.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi SosammaThe condition is known as congestive heart failure from a part of the heart muscle being destroyed by a heart attack.Medications like beta blockers and salt restriction can be used to treat this without surgeryLet me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Chip. Could u plz elaborate on this subject plz.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sure--can you tell me any more about her problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is having breathlesness and also complained about bowelproblem as for which she was given suppository as for which she had very loose loose bowels.Thus she is very weak frail and is now kept in ICUunit. Dr saysshe is quite serious to take her out of ICU unit. So i don't know. Her Na level shows normal. ECGis normal.Plz advize
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand
And was the doctor talking about some kind of heart surgery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he was.BUT dr says he would not be happy to take to open heart surgery but give her medications to solve the problem.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And can you tell me more about what he said about her heart problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually all I know is hewant to prescribe only medications for her.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--so what more information do you need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iwanted to ask u if she undergoes surgery then is that the best option for her since she is 80 yr old or the medication regime will do her good.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
As ill as she is I personally wouldn't recommend surgery--I would just treat her with medication