Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

There, I am a fit and well 33 year old, who 5 months ago

Customer Question

Hi there, I am a fit and well 33 year old, who 5 months ago had an MRI scan to detect any potential brain aneurysms, thankfully it came back all clear! The reason I went was that my mother had a burst aneurysm and 2 others coiled when she was 41. However she was a a heavy smoker for nigh on 25 years. I previously smoked for 7 years but not to the same extrent, and quit 1 year ago.
Although my MRI came back clear, do I need to worry about getting another one? My worry is really debilitating me at the moment as I near the age of 40, even though I have had a scan and I am fine. Can they form quickly?
I appreciate your kind help, hopefully my mind can be put at ease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The primary indication for screening for familial intracranial aneurysms would be when there are two family members with a history of intracranial aneurysms or associated bleeding. While the evidence is not as strong for screening of individuals with one family member, there are some studies that included individuals with a single family member. It certainly would be reasonable if the individual is more concerned or if there are other risk factors for aneurysms. Smoking is a significant risk factor, although it is particularly greater if there has been a 20 pack-year history of smoking. Another major risk factor is polycystic kidney disease.
The ideal screening interval for familial intracranial aneurysms has not been clearly defined. Most of the studies have looked at performing screening every 5 years, but there also is some evidence that the screening interval could be extended to every 7 years. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20498435.
There are rare cases in which an aneurysm may develop more quickly and no screening regimen will detect 100% of aneurysms, but the great percentage of aneurysms develop more slowly, and screening every 5-7 years is what is usually done.
In your case, an MRI 5 months ago that was negative should be very reassuring that there is only minimal risk of an aneurysm developing over the next 5-7 years.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for such a reassuring and promt response.
Am I correct in thinking that me keeping a track on my blood pressure and BMI will influence the risk also
Yes, it is reasonable to monitor and maintain a healthy blood pressure and BMI. These are far less of a risk factor than smoking, so the fact that you quit a year ago after only smoking 7 years was the absolute best lifestyle intervention that could be done - and you clearly should not resume smoking. But the monitoring of blood pressure and BMI will also help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the excellent response
You are very welcome.