Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had pains in my calves, knees and ankles

Hi I have had pains in my calves, knees and ankles for the past few weeks. It is accompanied by an odd sensation, kind of like numbness/tingling and a feeling of my legs being cold. It also feels like my legs are heavy and puffy. It is worse on my right leg.
I have also noticed a swelling on my inner right calf, but I'm not sure if this is just my leg muscle being more prominent. I am inactive currently as I have agoraphobia, so haven't been exercising. I am very worried and haven't been sleeping because of this. I find it is worse at night, but today it has been like it all morning. Please can you give me some advice on what it could be. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi LisaThis sounds like what's called a peripheral neuropathy--a nerve inflammation condition.It can be caused by diabetes, low thyroid, low vitamin B12 levels and anemiaThe only way to tell exactly what the problem is would be for you to see a doctor and get the appropriate blood tests for all of those possibilitiesLet me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I did have my suspicions about this. My main worry was something like DVT. I have booked a doctors appointment.