Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have just recovered from a chest infection, and my previously

Customer Question

I have just recovered from a chest infection, and my previously mild asthma is giving me trouble. For the chest infection, I had prednisone for a week (30 mg per day, tapering down to 5) and amoxicillin.
Now I am on 6 puffs of ventolin a day (x2 morn, noon, night), and four of Clenil Modulite (x2 morn and eve) but have a constant tightness in the chest.
I am going to go for another asthma review, but what are they likely to do? Just increase my existing inhaler dosages? It doesn't seem to be effective as is. Or is it possible that this is still the last part of the chest infection?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
sometimes nebulizer therapy is a better way to get ventolin and steroid medications into your lungs than a metered dose inhaler.
chest infections often can cause worse lung symptoms for a period of time after your infection
you should talk to your doctors about a chest CT scan and a pulmonary function test to check your lungs
you might benefit from medications like guaifenesin which can help break up mucous in your lungs to help open up airways.
let me know if you have questions.