Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm very worried, I have a terrible fear of electricity

I'm very worried, I have a terrible fear of electricity after reading on the internet that it can fry the brain and skin and also cause cancer.
I've seen a psychiatrist who has diagnosed OCD and reassured me that there is no psychotic or schizophrenic features involved but I realised that he didn't ask me what I'm afraid that the electric is going to do. If I were to tell him that I'm scared it's going to do those things he may think it's more of a psychosis.
So worried again now and can't get hold of him until next week to tell him my concerns. Thinking of calling an ambulance and tell my worries to someone on duty there?
What shall I do
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

your fear of electricity is not a sign of psychosis.

your fear of electricity is a manifestation of excessive anxiety symptoms.

I am glad you are seeing a psychiatrist.

you should also be seeing a regular psychotherapist to talk about your worries and anxieties as well

your psychiatrist should be recommending you medicaitons to help decrease your anxiety symptoms.

are you on medications to help decrease your anxiety symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr David

No medications just having CBT.

Should I go to emergency to tell them the details about what I read online to make sure its not anything more than the OCD and anxiety?

I'm so angry at myself for not telling the psychiatrist all the details when I saw him. I would not have this to worry about then.

Thanks so much for replying

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
of course you can go to the ER

but I bet you the doctors there will tell you that you just have OCD and anxiety and no psychosis.

none of your symptoms sound of psychosis.

it sounds like your anxiety symptoms are out of control and your worries are getting the better of you.

you need to talk to your psychiatrist about starting medication therapy to help you decrease your anxiety symptoms

so you don't continue to have these bad worries.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com