Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Doctor, I have a huge story and I need some help.

Hello Doctor,
I have a huge story and I need some help.
16 months ago tomorrow I had unprotected sex with a guy of unknown HIV status. I am a female in the UK. We had unprotected oral, vaginal and anal sex. For a year I was too scared to test for HIV. About two weeks after possible exposure. I got a bad headache which lasted a day. A day or so later I went to the seaside and got chills. However that subsided eventually by the end of the day. I never had any other symptoms apart from the normal colds. I have tested four times. I tested with BioSURE Home HIV self tests at 13,14 and then two tests at 15 months post possible exposure. They look for antibodies and give a result in 15 minutes at home. All negative. Then I got Tonsillitis at 14 months post possible exposure. Which got me worried again. Just over two weeks ago I went to my local sexual health clinic and she did a full STI test. Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Rectal Chlamydia, Syphilis and HIV. All negative. She didn't test for Hepatitis however. I am worried constantly that Hepatitis could delay antibody production for HIV and that I am actually positive. I am planning to get tested for Hepatitis C and B at the clinic again next week or week after. If it turns out I am positive for B or C would I need further HIV testing? Could having Hepatitis delay seroconversion out to beyond 12 months? How do I shake my fear of having HIV. So many doctors have told me I don't have HIV and that nothing delays antibody production. Are they correct? I can't get over that my risk was high and everytime I think about having had anal sex, it makes me wonder how I don't have anything.
Thank you and sorry for the long question.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for query,As you had history of possible exposure over a year ago and you have been tested negative for many times there is no need to be scared you do not have HIV according to this history. There is delay in seroconversion only in acute phase hepatitis c and you have checked it many times over a period of one year so no need to be worried. Just get your hepititis testing and if you want to be further sure about it get one blood HIV antibodies. Just relax.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could I not have produced antibodies by this stage?

I am so scared that I could actually have it. How long would acute Hepatitis C delay it for?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
It delays it for up to six months and after one year the risk is very very low. So get your hepatitis c test if it is negative no worries at all. Please do leave a positive rating.Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it turns out to be positive for Hep C, do I have to have more tests for HIV?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
In that case further testing like rapid antigen/antibody and CD4 count should be done.Please do rate by clicking on stars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what type of test the clinic did. The test was sent away to a lab and three days later I got the results back, what types of test is this. Antigen and antibody, just one or both?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
They are sufficient for diagnosis. You are HIV negative. Do not get worried just get hepatitis screening.Please do leave a positive rating.Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

What Hepatitis B? Can that cause delayed seroconversion?

Also, does a Penis have to be inserted into a vagina, anus or mouth for HIV occur? or through a needle stick? Just wondering.

Even if the clinic didn't do antigen testing, is it still conclusive?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
No there are no delayed seroconversion for hep B.Yes for second question and Yes for third question as well.Please do leave a positive rating.Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will get Hep C and B testing to be sure.

Hope all this well.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Please click on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.