Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnoea

I have been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnoea and I have been advised to stop driving immediately. I work as a Taxi driver and I am effectively self employed. I believe that I am 30% more likely to suffer from cardiac arrest or even suffer from a stroke. The prognosis from my respiratory consultant is that I need to embark on a CPAP programme. Because it is so severe, I have been urgently referred to the Sleep Clinic. I have tried unsuccessfully to obtain an appointment and have been fobbed off with a ten week wait before I can start this procedure (They blame Christmas as the problem). As you are NHS, is this politics or do I need to have a word with my GP and get him to move this along more expediently?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks are query,It surely is not politics, appointments are a problem if you going through NHS. Your GP can definitely help you by catalyzing this process and putting a priority stamp on your case.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.