Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 33 years old. I have been suffering with low sex drive

Customer Question

Hi, I am 33 years old. I have been suffering with low sex drive for years. I assumed it was due to be unhappy in my marriage etc, I am now separated and its still the same if not worse. I have been to my local GP who I feel haven't done enough. It's affecting me now in my life and mentally. I getting depressed over this now. I have had tests, which came back ok, I have tried supplements to improve testosterone, which haven't done anything. I was advised by the GP that my ball bag is smaller then normal. I have noticed more recently that the ball bag feels tight even when soft, and that it now feels tender. I am also having to concentrate when I do have sex, has I feel I will lose my erection, which as happened in the past. It getting more and more concerning now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are having such difficulty with sex drive.
the more you concentrate and focus and have anxiety and worry about loss of erection during sex, these will often kill an erection.
erections are often best when you are more relaxed and using your parasympathetic nervous system which is on more when you are relaxed. that is why you have erections very often in the morning when you are most relaxed.
are you having morning erections?
what was your testosterone level when it was measured?
you should get a scrotal ultrasound if you have tenderness of your testicles.
some medications can affect your sex drive and sexual function. are you on any medications?
do you have excessive anxiety disorder or excessive anxiety symptoms? excessive anxiety can often affect erections and sexual function.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning erections are less frequent. It's been a issue for a while, so I have only starting concentrating when have sex, when I had lost my erection previous times.
I am on no medication what so ever, never took steroids or anything.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
try to worry less about your erections and focus more on the pleasure of sex and giving pleasure and touching and being in the moment.
I bet you will find that your erections will work better when you worry less about them.
thanks for accepting additional phone consultation.
would you like me to call you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already been at that stage of worrying less, and enjoying the pleasure of sex. That's not the problem, problem is not wanting sex. Low sex drive. Small ball bag. Tight ball bag. Tenderness. Feeling tired a lot Etc.
I would like not to be charged for the extra phone consultation. As not sure you can help without seeing and understanding.
It's affecting me now, has its been going on for a long time now. I have had tests etc and tried supplements but still it's feels like it's worse.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?
abnormal thyroid hormone levels can make you feel tired.
ask your doctor for a scrotal ultrasound scan to look inside of your scrotum to make sure this is all normal.
do you have excessive anxiety disorder or excessive anxiety symptoms? excessive anxiety can often affect sexual desire and libido
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sent for tests that my local GP advised. I got told all ok.
I had a MRI scan to check to make sure that's ok.
I don't suffer from excessive anxiety.Just very small ball bag, low sex drive, low testosterone.
I feel I need testosterone boosters to kick start it.
I don't take steroids or drink excessive, I don't smoke.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
what is your testosterone level?
I would get a copy of your testosterone levels.
ask also to get your sex binding hormone levels checked as well. as this can affect how your testosterone works.
routine exercise can also help improve your sex drive and help you have more energy.
ask to also get your thyroid hormone levels checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what the testosterone levels are, I just no it's not right, and hasn't been for awhile. This affected my marriage also, and is no affecting me now. I feel I am getting no where, with trying to sort this issue.
Has I advised I have had tests, which I can only imagine would be the same sort of things you are suggesting. These did come back ok.
But I no it's not right.
The ball bag feels always tight and also tender.
Even one of the balls feels a lot smaller then the other.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I would ask your GP doctor for copies of your blood tests.
I would be happy to review them with you.
ask your doctor for a scrotal ultrasound scan as well
to look into your scrotum and testicles
to make sure everything is normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try and arrange an appointment soon as possible with my GPIt's starting to make me depressed now.So I hope I can get it sorted.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
don't let it get you depressed.
you are still able to have erections and still able to have sex.
depression symptoms themselves can decrease libido and sex drive.
work on doing daily exercise to help improve your health and improve your energy levels and improve your sleep.
regular exercise could help improve your health and improve your sex drive as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well to be honest. I have do go the gym and I have found this doesn't really do anything.It's been a long term issue, so I have tried plenty of things suggested to me.What could the reason be for tight and small ball sack?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you have muscles in your scrotum called your cremaster muscles which contract to help pull your testicles closer to your body when you are cold or nervous
and when you are hot and more relaxed, the muscle relaxes and the testicle descends down farther away from your body.
your body does this automatically to help regulate the temperature of your testicle to keep the sperm there at the proper temperature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I don't feel the advise as made it any clearer or helped in any way.So sounds like another trip to the GP and demand more tests etcI will write a review for you shortlyAppreciate your time
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you should get a scrotal ultrasound to check your scrotum if you feel that this area is abnormal.
you haven't had that done
taking more testosterone for you at this point may not be the right answer.
excessive testosterone in your system can get converted into estrogen by aromatase enzyme in your body and this can cause breast growth and more shrinkage of your testicles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will ask for this to be done.I will try get into the doctors soon as possible.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
good luck to you
thanks for using JustAnswer.com