DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm 31 years old and have a BMI of 20% body fat (although I

I'm 31 years old and have a BMI of 20% body fat (although I generally have had a BMI of 18 throughout most of my adult life and have gained some weight recently as we are trying to conceive. I had pain in my lower right abdomen on and off for about 10 years. I initially went to the doctor for it when I was 24 who did a pelvic ultrasound, saw nothing wrong with my ovaries other than 1 cyst (which was apparently too small to cause pain). At this point I'd been menstruating monthly for 10 years. The doctor told me not to worry about the pain and to come back if it got worse. The pain disappeared for months at a time for a few years - but still flared up a few times a year. It became more painful the last few months. So, I went back to the doctor last month (now 10 years after the first scan) and he arranged another transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound. The scan was carried out 1 day after ovulation (I have this indication because I'm using OPK's and charting my basal body temperature as I'm trying to conceive). This time, there were 11 cysts on my right ovary, including a corpus luteum cyst and 9 cysts on my left ovary. (They said the cysts were definitely not cancer or anything serious). My ovaries are also measuring a volume of 14.85cc on the left ovary and 14.45 on the right. They said I had a couple of features of polycystic ovary syndrome, but not to get too concerned as it may not be that.
I've never missed a period in my life - they have always been regular, monthly 31 day cycles with a period length of 5/6 days. My blood tests are normal, and I don't exercise much but have always had a BMI fat percentage of 18%. I generally struggle to gain weight. So, I wonder what is going on to cause these cysts? It may be important to note, that the same month my scan was done, I was under a huge amount of stress as we had to find somewhere else to live in an emergency. And, that same month, I had a 34 day cycle, which is the longest cycle I've ever had. And it seems I ovulated a few days later than usual. I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about all of the health risks/fertility issues PCOS carries. Or, if I may have just had a one-off unusual cycle creating more follicles than usual due to the stress? I have received 3 different opinions from GPs. So, wanted to ask a OB/GYN.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am really not sure what your question is.This sounds just like PCOS, but you need more testing.Testosterone levels, insulin levels, and other tests can be helpful to form a diagnosis.If the cysts are very small, yes they can be normal cysts.Your doctors who have examined you and seen the films need to make that guess. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the doctors don't think it is PCOS - one doctor just said I had a couple of features of it (the cysts & ovarian size) but said it may not be PCOS. The doctors are unwilling to test my hormone levels as I don't exhibit any other symptoms of PCOS. (My weight is underweight, cycles are regular and insulin is normal). I'm asking whether the cysts might be normal because I wanted another opinion. I'm trying to conceive and am scared of the increased risks of PCOS.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
AS i said, they might be normal.I would see an endocrinologist, who will order the correct tests.Please click a positive rating now.Come back if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you