Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I've had a dull ache pain in the lower left of my abdomen for

I've had a dull ache pain in the lower left of my abdomen for the last two weeks. Just above my hip bone.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Do you have any other symptoms like changes in bowel habits? Burning urination or increase in frequency of urination? Nausea, Vomiting, fever? Changes in the menstrual cycle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello,No changes in bowel, menstrual cycle- no nausea or vomiting, no burning urinating and not more frequent than usual. It feels like ovulation or maybe some trapped gas. But given the length of time (and had my period last week) these seem unlikely. Oddly I don't have pain in the morning when I wake up- when I'm still lying down.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever had a surgery on the abdomen in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, never
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the details.The symptom you mention is a vague one with no other associated symptoms. In such a situation, it is best to have this examined and get an ultrasound on the lower abdomen done to rule out uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and a hernia. This is not something that prompts an ER visit or an urgent care. You can see your PCP for this.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Let me know if you have any further queries about this.Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this- the GP has ruled out kidney stones (no blood in urine) and has referred me for a scan. Could I ask about hernia? I have been doing a lot of weight training in the past few months as I play rugby.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Yes, weight training can cause hernias to develop. They usually appear as a bulge when one strains or coughs. But in the initial stages the hernia is subclinical and only presents as a dull aching pain near the groin or the lower abdomen. An examination of the abdomen or an ultrasound can confirm or rule it out.So, that is a possibility and should be kept in the differentials.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best.