Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a pain in my stomach area which turns into a really

Customer Question

I have a pain in my stomach area which turns into a really kind of sharp pain and my stomach sort of feels blotted even though I haven't eaten. What could this be?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some additional information.
Where in the stomach is the pain located? Upper abdomen? Lower abdomen? Right? Left?
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you noticed anything that makes the pain better or worse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain is across my belly button area going right across my stomach. I had some pain in my stomach yesterday but it was only late last night that I have been getting sharp pain in that area. Not really the pain is always there.
Thank you for the additional information.
There are many possible causes of abdominal pain.
The most common cause of abdominal pain across the abdomen at the level of the belly button that has been present for only a couple days would be a viral infection of the gut, particularly in an otherwise healthy young adult. As with most common viral infections, there is no treatment that will directly eradicate the virus, but the virus will resolve spontaneously and symptomatic relief is the usual approach.
It is also fairly common to get abdominal pain in this area from an acid irritation syndrome, such as gastritis, or from pancreatitis.
Since viral infections are so common, it is reasonable to initially manage this as a viral infection and it will usually resolve spontaneously. It may help to take a medicine to ease the stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. Pepto-Bismol, or bismuth subsalicylate, can be soothing for some people. It also would be fine to use paracetamol for direct relief of pain. With these interventions, the symptoms will usually resolve over a few days to about a week or so.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
You are most welcome.