Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have had a strain in the front of my elbow while

I have had a strain in the front of my elbow for a while and assumed it would just resolve itself with time. I train regularly at my local gym and in quite good health> However, yesterday, I spent a few hours jet washing my drive and last night I noticed a numbness in the fingers in my right hand. Since then, I have been struggling to operate a keyboard and find it really difficult to write...something that I pride myself on. Can you help me identify the issue here please?
Many thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
With what you are describing there are a couple of possibilities:
1. This could represent a problem with your neck spine i.e. the bones or the discs of your neck pressing on a nerve that is causing your numbness.
So I would recommend that you should have a x-ray or preferably MRI of your neck spine to have a look at your bones and disc in the neck.
2. The other possibility is that of a nerve being pressed outside the spine i.e. in the arm. This can happen either at the level of the elbow (ulnar tunnel syndrome) or at the level of the writes (carpal tunnel syndrome). These conditions can be clinically diagnosed by for a definitive diagnosis nerve conduction studies may be required.
So I would recommend that you be seen and be evaluated to rule out these problems.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.