Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My 17 month old son had a seizure on Sunday - he had been vomiting

My 17 month old son had a seizure on Sunday - he had been vomiting since Friday but had no temperature, an ambulance took him to the hospital and he had another mini one, it wasn't caused by a temperature and the doctor said it wasn't likely to be caused by low blood sugar as his levels weren't that low - but they didn't really give me any answers as to what caused it, they were going to get him an appointment but then called today to say they will only get him to see a doctor if he has another one. I'm just confused as to why it happened? I know children can have them when they have a temperature, but he didn't. He still is very sleepy and not himself, he is a very lively toddler usually but has just been clingy and drowsy ever since it happened. He has also had quite bad diarrhea. Was the seizure likely to be to do with the bug he has? I'm also not sure if a bug should last so long as he first started being sick on Friday morning? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
yes, the seizure most likely was caused by a viral infection which caused him to vomit and have diarrhea.
he could be dehydrated if he had diarrhea and vomiting and is sleepy and listless and not himself.
his blood work should check for creatinine and BUN levels to see if they are elevated to see if he is dehydrated.
he might benefit from some IV fluids to help increase his fluid levels to help him feel better, especially if he is not drinking.
yes, some infections can last for more than several days.
keep checking his temperature
and make sure he drinks fluids. if not bring him back in to get some IV fluids
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com