Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Years I have had a red leason on the side of my

For several years I have had a red leason on the side of my penis under the fore skin. some time ago I had this checked at a GUM clinic and I was told it was not a STD. Cream was recommended and I have followed this by using Dactacorte HC which reduces it but does not remove it. I have looked on the internet and I think I have Zoon Balinitis. can you please advise me on what to do?
Many thanks,
***** *****.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the lesion?
I had asked whether a picture could be attached and have not heard back.
If this is Zoon balanitis that has persisted despite a steroid cream, the usual next step would be a different topical medicine that works by a different mechanism. The medicines that have been used are tacrolimus and pimecrolimus.
If the problem persists despite one of these medicines, there also has been some success with imiquimod and fusidic acid. The imiquimod also affects the immune system, but activates some of the healing processes, and is mostly used for the treatment of genital warts. Fusidic acid is active against bacteria on the skin.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Photos
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr, I have now sent the photos, Paul.
I am sorry for the delay, but I had left the computer when you had posted the pictures.
These pictures are not in good focus of the red lesion, but it does look like it could be Zoon balanitis. In some cases, the diagnosis can be made by the appearance alone, while in others, it is necessary to perform a biopsy to make a definitive diagnosis. From these pictures, it cannot be said that the appearance is clearly consistent with Zoon balanitis.