Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have white fungus looking skin between my small toe and the

I have white fungus looking skin between my small toe and the one next to it.the skin has cracked and is painful.What can this be please
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
this sounds like poor circulation into the feet can be causing dry skin dermatitis and open wounds in your feet.
you don't want this crack and wound to get worse and worse.
these wounds can be very hard to heal up in the elderly, especially if you have diabetes.
you need to see a doctor about this as soon as possible and get wound care treatment to this painful crack before it gets worse.
your doctor and nurses have special creams like silvadine or medihoney or santyl or others which can help the wound heal.
you might have a fungal or bacterial infection in the area which might need antifungal or antibacterial agents.
that is good you are using foot powder to keep your foot dry and using antifungal canesten cream.
you need to increase your protein intake and vitamin C in take to allow your body to heal from the inside out as well.
for severe cases, hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy is also used to help wounds heal up
if you have diabetes, you need better control of your diabetes for the crack to heal.
your doctors may also do an ultrasound scan of your leg to check for proper blood flow and circulation into your leg. without proper blood flow, wounds can take longer to heal.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com