DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I suffer from OCD, and ever since Breast Cancer, it has

Customer Question

Hi, I suffer from OCD, and ever since Breast Cancer, it has been very hard to deal with, I am told by my specialist to do CBT by myself but it is very hard some days to deal with it. I have builders and decorators in my house, and also a lady who cut my
hair, she said she had a very bad period and asked to use my bathroom, she put the remains of an used tampon in my kitchen bin downstairs, I have a shelf by the toilet in my bathroom where me and my family keep our toothbrushes, I am worried she may have temporary
put the used tampon on the shelf with the toothbrushes, and I am worried that we could contract HIV from this, also from the door handles and the toilet seat, from her and the builders that use the bathroom. Also what if they cut themselves on the knives in
my kitchen and I cut myself on the same knives. Or if they use my towels etc etc, I also scratched my eye and face on a thorny bush on my neighbours bush ( who I don't know very well) supposed they did the same a few seconds before me have I now got HIV. I
have been told by my specialist that I must feel like I have been infected with HIV and not seek reassurance and wait till the anxiety comes down, and I am not to buy an HIV testing online and test myself, I am to stick with it, some days I cope better than
others, but I struggle somedays. I don't think it has helped that When I found a lump in my neck the doctor said it was nothing to worry about, then two years later I had Thyroid Cancer, and when I was worried about going on HRT may cause Breast Cancer, my
doctor said I had more chance from being run over by a bus! A few years later I had aggressive bi-lateral Breast Cancer! As you can see I am always thinking what if they are wrong!, and it would be just my luck!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HI
What is your exact medical question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Whether I am at risk from HIV whilst exposing myself to everyday risks ( like cutting myself on sharp objects if someone else has before me) and the other situations I have mentioned. If you feel I am not to be reassured, because it would make the OCD worse, then I will understand.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are not at any risk from these activities.
None./
It is clear that the OCD is not well controlled, and this is what you need to address with your doctors.
See my add services offer and I can give you a wide range of choices.
If you don't accept the add services offer, please click a positive rating here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will rate your services Dr. Sorry but I will try and control my OCD. I have told my specialists. But I am worried that my hairdresser cut my neck while cutting my hair, and the scissors are used on many people before me if she had cut someone before me is this a risk? Also my builder left a board of pins to keep the carpet straight, I trod on the pins and they went into my foot, if he had done the same before me is this a risk from HIV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also my vicar who is gay, had a pun badge on his cassock and I shook hands with him and caught my hand on his sharp badge, my hand bleed, if his had done the same before me could this be a risk from HIV?? Please answer me and I will not bother you again.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
None of these descriptions are a risk for HIV>You don't have it. You have not even been exposed.Please don't forget a positive rating.Talk to your doctor about this and about OCD medication. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dr sorry I have been really annoying. Am i right that HIV needs a route via body fluid to body fluid and dies within seconds outside body fluids? So for example if my toothbrush had touched the area where the used tampon had been the virus would have been dead.
Thankyou Dr I am signing off after this and will give you a rating.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HiNot annoying at all.However, it is better to rate an answer and come back, as we are only paid per rating, and for bonuses.Also additional services offers; please see mine.HIV dies immediately outside of the body.So, none of your concerns are realistic and you do not have HIV, nor have you even been exposed to HIV> It is your anxiety/ocd that needs treatment, and clearly has not been treated effectively. I can go over effective approaches in my add services offer. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr so HIV cannot live on surfaces or door handles, toilet seats etc etc and dies immediately ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
That is correct.See my add services offer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So no need for testing ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Not on that basis.The CDC recommends that all sexually active adults [those not in a monogomus relationship where each persons status is known] get tested once a year.But not because of what you are thinking.YOur problem, OCD, needs more effective treatment than what you have been getting, if any.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you are right I need to get some support for cognitive therapy as I am finding it difficult on my own. If I have one partner then I don't need testing do I. But it does die on surfaces immediately, for example, door handles, toilet seats etc doesn't it so I don't need testing for that do I, even if I have touched them then touched myself in my private area, bodily fluids or through a cut? I will try and get help for this dreadful OCD. Thank you Dr I while go now, sorry I won't bother you again.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
See my additional services offer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have accepted your Dr
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to write my question again?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OKSo OCD often requires medication.Zoloft is a good one with low side effects.However, that is assuming that you have a diagnosis from a doctor.I would start by talking with your primary care.Cognitive behavioral therapy is not do it youself on line.It must be part of therapy. This might work as well as medication.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am on Fluvoxamine and Quetiapine for my OCD. I have to wait on a waiting list for Cognitive Therapy, but I will ask again. I have to have tools to help myself, so I can get rid of this awful OCD. If I have facts about HIV then maybe I can tell myself to stop worrying. Am I right that I tell myself that HIV does not live on door handles, toilet seats and even if I touch these surfaces with a cut or I touch myself on private parts, or surfaces touch bodily fluids are not a source of HIV.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have already answered that question. So, as you can see, getting the answer does not help your problem.In fact, it can reinforce the problem. You are not at any HIV risk....that is the last time I will state that, since it simply gives you more doubt. You need to see a specialist [psychiatrist ] as to the medication. As, your medication combination is not working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes your right Dr, like I have just touch the bin where my hairdresser put in the used tampon, and I have a cut on my finger and I scratched inside my nose with the same hand I touched the bin. I am now trying to tell myself the virus is dead. I also have got to get a grip on this as I was told yesterday I have to have to have my gallbladder removed in two weeks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I agree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Today I dropped my gloves and bag when getting out of the car, there was a used condom on the floor and they could and may have touch it, I picked my bag and gloves up and wore my gloves and just told myself the HIV would be dead, and carried on as normal, is this the way I should deal with OCD. I don't want to be at risk from HIV.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There would be no issue about HIV here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or if I trod on the condom and I touched the bottom of my shoe or trousers with a cut on my hand, if any body fluids from the condom was on my shoe or trousers the virus would be dead? I am telling myself all the time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You need to see a psychologist and discuss these fears. None of them are real.Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are real episodes that happen to me honestly, most people without OCD would ignore the situations, and not even worry about HIV infection. I will try to get some Cognitive Therapy. Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
anytime
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And now my mind is saying I have touched the bottom of my trousers and shoes and I may have touched my private parts when I used the bathroom and I may be infected with HIV. This is how mind works and I feel a prisoner to OCD. I will ring my consultant on Monday and get some help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have been applying CBT to my thoughts, but today bought some paper which had staple pins on it, ripped my hands while opening it, if someone else did this in the shop before me, is this an HIV infection risk?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloNo riskPlease find me in the medical category on a new post for further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday I caught my hand on a metal indian jewellery box I bought which i was wrapping for Xmas, if the person in the shop did the same before me any risk of HIV infection?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HiI can not answer further questions on this treat.See my additional services offer or start a new thread requesting me.We are only paid per positive rating, for bonuses and for add services offers thatare accepted.thanks