Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Good Afternoon I am a 60 yrs young with a prolapsed uterus.

Customer Question

Good Afternoon
I am a 60 yrs young with a prolapsed uterus. The doctor fitted a pessary which didn't work too well (I had been struggling to pass water for many years) so we were going to do a smear and then fit a different sized pessary. I tore when the pessary was removed and am now prescribed a hormone treatment where I insert a tablet every day for 2 weeks then twice weekly to put the oestrogen back into my system and make it easier to fit another pessary.
My question is - I do a h.i.i.t class, zumba dance class, zumba tone class with weights and a kettle bell class every week. I also have 4 horses at home and that involves a lot of heavy work. I also work 14+hours a day for our own businesses. Should I be really doing this - has it made the prolapse happen - or worse all this exercise? I am 5'6" and 12 stone so a touch over weight - had 2 children and think I have probably had this prolapse since 2nd child born in 1989 as that's when the problem emptying my bladder started.
I feel as if my whole world is about to fall apart!
Helen
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Indeed you are a superwoman. Lots of strenuous activities will put even a guy to shame!Very good for your physical health.But they can be detrimental to your current condition.Menopausal drop in estrogen can lax the uterus supports resulting in prolapse.And strenuous activities can make it worse.And given that you are waiting for another pessary fitting, it is better to limit your physical activities for the time being.Avoid riding, and heavy lifting specifically.Zumba classes may be ok though.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/