Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've been suffering from intermittent but frequent stomach

Customer Question

Hi, I've been suffering from intermittent but frequent stomach pain, bloating and cramping for a few months now and can't seem to pin it down to any particular cause such as a certain type of food. I'm 25, average weight, try to exercise a minimum of once weekly and have a relatively healthy diet. My diet was very carbohydrate heavy with a lot of sugar and salt but I cut a lot of this out to try and resolve my stomach pains and lose weight but it has continued on. The cramping is sometimes so severe I struggle to concentrate and this is having a very detrimental effect on me. I'm not sure what this could be or how I could go about relieving the pain when it occurs. Thank you for any advice.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Sudden change in diet may take some time for your intestine to get used to it.Also high dietary fiber intake can cause cramps.Hence, moderation and modification of diet should be considered.Avoidance of lactose and gluten in your diet should be helpful.You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms.Please go to this link for detailed information:http://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdfPlease also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria.Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily to restore intestinal microbial balance.Culturelle 30 Counts twice daily should be fine.Simethicone and activated charcoal can be taken before meals to reduce gas and bloating.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/