Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My sons lippasides are down he is a diabetic and has been on

Customer Question

my sons lippasides are down he is a diabetic and has been on antibiotics the past 6 months
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There is no word, lippaside, in the US.
Could you clarify what you mean by the term?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
white blood cells
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his white blood cells are low , could it be as a result of his diabetis and been on constant antibiotics for 6 months or more
This is referred to as leukocytes in the US.
Do you know how low are the leukocytes?
Do you have the differential, which is the count of the different types of leukocytes?
Is he having any symptoms?
What is the infection for which he has been taking the antibiotics?
Which antibiotics has he been taking?
Does he have any chronic medical problems beyond the diabetes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
taking antibiotics because of chest infection and also sinus, dont know what medcine hes on , dont know differential , has no other chronic problems ,
There are several issues to consider in this situation.
First, it is possible that this is entirely normal. The total white blood count is the sum of five different types of white blood cells, and if each of these are normal but low in the normal range, then the total may be slightly low. When this happens, since each type is normal, we consider the entire pattern to be normal. This is why I asked about the actual value of the leukocytes and the differential.
If the leukocyte count is truly low, then the most common cause is an infection. The most common infection to do this is a viral infection. The low white count from an infection is usually mild and transient, improving as the infection improves.
It is also possible to get a low white blood count from certain medicines, including certain antibiotics. Diabetes and the medicines to treat diabetes are usually not a cause of a low white blood count.
Less common causes include decreased production from the bone marrow, such as due to nutrient deficiencies, or bone marrow disease. It also can be due to destruction of white blood cells, such as occurs in certain autoimmune diseases.
In someone with a low blood count and an infection, and no other apparent cause of the low white blood count, it is reasonable to address the infection and see if the white blood count improves. In his case, since his infection and antibiotic use has been an issue for 6 months, it may be necessary to treat the infection more aggressively, and it may be necessary to see a specialist for the infection.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your reply seems to be what I would reasonably think as his parent I'm trying to put him at ease
Statistically, it is much more likely that it is normal or from the infection. If you can get the values of the white blood count and the differential, then it would be straightforward to be able to say whether it is normal, which would be the best at putting him at ease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks will get them
You are most welcome.
Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.