Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Since Tuesday I have had 3 days of either stomach bug or food

Since Tuesday I have had 3 days of either stomach bug or food poisoning, had to stay in bed on Wednesday but am sort of recovered, as in I have energy back and starting to eat a little but since last night I have incredible pain in my lower back and legs - I just can't sit still and the pain goes slightly when I walk or move around. Took the dog for a walk this morning but driving was really painful! Am 52, female, otherwise in good health, taking 5mg carbimazole for overactive thyroid.
Thanks,
Gaby
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.From what you are describing it seems likely that you could be having a low level of potassium from the food poisoning that you had that is causing your leg cramps and your pain in the lower back.So I would recommend that you should take bananas, electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade to help replenish your lost electrolytes.You should take as much electrolyte rich fluids as you can.Your pain should recover in due course of time.Also, if you have not had your TSH checked recently I would recommend that you should have that tested as well as far as I am concerned.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.Kind regards